TFXtreme
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

TFXtreme

Transformers Forum

HomePortalGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Go down 
+2
Lunar Retturns 2
Dr. Lecter
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Dr. Lecter
Silver Member
Silver Member
Dr. Lecter

Number of posts : 564
Registration date : 2009-01-05

James Cameron's Avatar Empty
PostSubject: James Cameron's Avatar   James Cameron's Avatar I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 19, 2009 12:51 pm

- Is the MOST AWESOME MOVIE I HAVE SEEN IN MY ENTIRE LIFE!!!!!

James Cameron's Avatar 746588 James Cameron's Avatar 746588 James Cameron's Avatar 746588

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cRdxXPV9GNQ

It's got a very humane message and it delivered it masterfully in every aspect.

I just came from a spectacular day of scuba diving, fine dining, meeting new friends, and then I went straight to watching this last full show at IMAX 3D. Good God, life is great.
Back to top Go down
Lunar Retturns 2
Premium Member
Premium Member
Lunar Retturns 2

Number of posts : 6072
Registration date : 2008-05-25

PostSubject: Re: James Cameron's Avatar   James Cameron's Avatar I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 19, 2009 9:43 pm

Was supposed to see it today.

For once, I hate snow storms.
Back to top Go down
Lunar Retturns 2
Premium Member
Premium Member
Lunar Retturns 2

Number of posts : 6072
Registration date : 2008-05-25

PostSubject: Re: James Cameron's Avatar   James Cameron's Avatar I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 26, 2009 1:57 am

It's official. This movie is utter garbage.

I wasted the last few hours watching this mess of a film by James "Who gives a eff" Cameron.

Don't waste your money.

Spoiler:
Back to top Go down
Autosaver
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Autosaver

Number of posts : 4005
Registration date : 2008-05-26

PostSubject: Re: James Cameron's Avatar   James Cameron's Avatar I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 26, 2009 1:12 pm

It is a good movie, but I think they over-did it with the graphics and 3D detail. Leaving the story very predictable and not one of the best story's created.

Though, it is still good.
Back to top Go down
The Good Rebel
Silver Member
Silver Member
The Good Rebel

Number of posts : 797
Registration date : 2009-01-10

PostSubject: Re: James Cameron's Avatar   James Cameron's Avatar I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 27, 2009 8:04 pm

This film is a masterpiece. Simple as that.
Back to top Go down
Autosaver
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Autosaver

PostSubject: Re: James Cameron's Avatar   James Cameron's Avatar I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 27, 2009 8:47 pm

I think it was over-hyped. I was expecting a mind thrilling changing movie of the decade.

But we get too much focus on the detail and not the story itself.
Back to top Go down
Dr. Lecter
Silver Member
Silver Member
Dr. Lecter

PostSubject: Re: James Cameron's Avatar   James Cameron's Avatar I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 28, 2009 3:54 am

I found the film to be enlightening, at the least. It takes an open mind to see past the amazing visual smorgasbord and the sci-fi cowboys vs. indians theme.

There was real emotionality to the film, on my part, and it is way beyond simple animation. There are real people performing the moves that the characters are doing in Avatar, unlike our recent 3D films that rely heavily on voice actors and animators.

There was also the point against imperialism and the promotion of environmental awareness (one would have to be either naive to reality or really, really intellectualy immature not to notice).

Not everyone can be pleased with any film though. Avatar is not spared from this, as I have read a lot of commentaries that look down on Avatar (though most of these are simply trolled threads or remarks in imdb, mostly made by teens or pre-teens who were looking for some mind-boggling spectacle with cool guns or interactivity).

I myself am not pleased with TransformerS ROTF, for example, because they made Prime look like some sort of Anime junkie where you just plug parts or other robots in and he'd be stronger or something, much like Rescue Robo or most of the current mecha themes from Japan. Oh, que horror.

Avatar was different though, because it somehow gave me the illusion that Pandora was real -- rare, because I dissect films that I see with my friends for plot issues and continuity flaws. Maybe because of the technology they used, Cameron had more hands-on time to address issues directly while taping and not waste time on retakes. Editing flaws and gaffs are very common in post-production, where you shoot first and then add the animated part later. Again, reference to Transformers, specifically Devastator's nuts and one part where Prime was way too shiny in a very dark foreground.

I would have to agree that Avatar indeed is a masterpiece, a breakthrough in film-making.

I hope Avatar wins an Oscar... and its cast too, like Zoe.
Back to top Go down
Autosaver
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Autosaver

PostSubject: Re: James Cameron's Avatar   James Cameron's Avatar I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 28, 2009 12:35 pm

Quote :
I myself am not pleased with TransformerS ROTF, for example, because
they made Prime look like some sort of Anime junkie where you just plug
parts or other robots in and he'd be stronger or something, much like
Rescue Robo or most of the current mecha themes from Japan. Oh, que horror.

Seriously, that movie sucked balls. It was SHOOT SHOOT SHOOT! 3 hours of boring time.

Quote :
some mind-boggling spectacle with cool guns or interactivity).

The movie did show cool guns and interactivity. Giant robots with machine guns and mega arms? How about flying spaceship helicopters that have 3000 rockets in them? Come on!

The movie had some good visuals as per the standard James Cameron fare.

Epic? Hardly...please this movie is Disney's Pocahantas in space.
Except instead of exploting a land for colonies, they are exploiting
the natural resources.

Character wise these were the thinnest drawn characters in the world. I
figured out from the first frame who the bad guys was and who was going
to die. Plus I really didn't care about any of them.

What was up with the accent of Jake? At times it sounded British then it sounded like a bad bronx accent.

Spoliers ahead--

The bit about Jake riding the big dragon was telegraphed from a mile away. As was the ending.

Preachy?

yep this was a preachy movie. Overall premise of preachiness...

HUMANS BAD YOU DESTROY ENVIRONMENT. LEAVE NATURE ALONE. DON'T EXPLOIT.

Through in the cliche'd new agey philosophy about energy and how we
borrow energy and then return in...I was half expecting to hear
Mustafa's bit about the Circle Of Life here.

Dialogue? EPIC FAIL. This dialogue was the worst in the world. I think
they cussed at times just to give it a PG-13 rating so they kids
wouldn't feel uncool about seeing a PG movie.

VIsually the movie is stunning, the 3D made the overall movie look kind
of dim but it was a good movie and shows what can be done with the
medium of 3D.

Eye Candy galore, but hardly the EPIC movie that is worth the loads of praise people are heaping on it.

It will win a slew of Oscars. And will have massive life as a rental
but on the whole I was expecting more from James Cameron....but then
again this is the man that gave us Pirahana...

It still is one of the best movies of the year. ^_^
Back to top Go down
The Good Rebel
Silver Member
Silver Member
The Good Rebel

PostSubject: Re: James Cameron's Avatar   James Cameron's Avatar I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 28, 2009 6:08 pm

Autosaver wrote:

The movie had some good visuals as per the standard James Cameron fare.

Epic? Hardly...please this movie is Disney's Pocahantas in space.
Except instead of exploting a land for colonies, they are exploiting
the natural resources.

Pocahontas wasn't the first to use that theme. It's an age-old story. Avatar uses broad mythological scopes to counteract the intense visuals.

Quote :
Character wise these were the thinnest drawn characters in the world. I
figured out from the first frame who the bad guys was and who was going
to die. Plus I really didn't care about any of them.

Thinnest drawn characters in the world? Hardly. We have a wounded Ex-Marine who struggles to discover his true identity, and at the same time what he's playing for. We have a Colonel who cannot see past Pandora's danger, and like Jake slowly strays away from being human, such as not wanting to fix the Viperwolve scar across his face. And so much more.

Quote :
What was up with the accent of Jake? At times it sounded British then it sounded like a bad bronx accent.

He's Australian, give him a break.

Quote :
Preachy?

yep this was a preachy movie. Overall premise of preachiness...

HUMANS BAD YOU DESTROY ENVIRONMENT. LEAVE NATURE ALONE. DON'T EXPLOIT.

Through in the cliche'd new agey philosophy about energy and how we
borrow energy and then return in...I was half expecting to hear
Mustafa's bit about the Circle Of Life here.

This film is drenched with several different philosophical situations. And like I mentioned before, the film uses an age-old story in a completely unfamiliar and science fiction environment. This film isn't in black and white, it develops both sides. The core of the film is not about environmentalism, it's about dreaming. You hear the phrase "you need to wake up" in several different situations in the film. From Selfridge arguing to Grace about the importance of the Tree of Souls, to Jake realizing he can't bring peace. The movie is called Avatar, not Pandora or Earth Attacks!. The scene where Jake gets into his wheelchair and you see the close up of his legs are there for a reason. See past the pretty pictures and search for the hidden meaning. It's like the Matrix. The negative reviewers can't do that because they're just cynical movie critics. And they are in the minority too, considering this film is rumored to get nominated for the Best Picture oscar. The Golden Globes already did it.

Quote :
Dialogue? EPIC FAIL. This dialogue was the worst in the world. I think
they cussed at times just to give it a PG-13 rating so they kids
wouldn't feel uncool about seeing a PG movie.

"Everything's backwards now, it's like out there is the real world, and in here is the dream." "Sooner or later though, you always have to wake up." "Sometimes your whole life boils down to one insane move." "He was the one who wanted to get shot out light years into space to find the answers." "One life ends, the other begins." "I don't know who I am anymore."

These are all beautifully constructed and unforgettable quotes from a movie that is filled with them.

Quote :
VIsually the movie is stunning, the 3D made the overall movie look kind
of dim but it was a good movie and shows what can be done with the
medium of 3D.
Dolby Digital 3D is the best way to view this film. It beats IMAX and RealD by far.

Quote :
It will win a slew of Oscars. And will have massive life as a rental
but on the whole I was expecting more from James Cameron....but then
again this is the man that gave us Pirahana...
Piranha II: The Spawning was not only James Cameron's first film, he also only had one week to direct less than half of it. He had to break in the editing room, and another director filmed loads of topless scenes behind his back. They just put his name on it so he could take the blame for that crap film. Ever since then, James Cameron hasn't disappointed us.
Back to top Go down
HorridWing
Gold Member
Gold Member
HorridWing

Number of posts : 1457
Registration date : 2009-08-15

PostSubject: Re: James Cameron's Avatar   James Cameron's Avatar I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 29, 2009 12:18 am

truth to that final statement...he's the same man who gave us Titanic as well. Some ppl forget that. I dont think Dolby Digital 3d is the best...i think Imax 3D is the best...by far. I will enjoy this movie once more on Sunday =]
Back to top Go down
Autosaver
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Autosaver

PostSubject: Re: James Cameron's Avatar   James Cameron's Avatar I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 29, 2009 7:52 pm

Well, if you want to get really technical about Star Wars, look no
further than Joseph Cambell's The Heroe's Journey which is a freakin'
blue print for every hero-related/coming of age story. Even Lord of the
Rings was an inspiration for Star Wars.(Edit: Yeah, you said that too).

As a matter of fact I've even got myself a book on how to write children's novels and what rules do you have to follow.

What people don't realize is that there are certain rules that every genre follows, be it sci-fi, adventure, action, etc.

But the fact that people think it's ripping off Dance With Wolves(and a
couple of other flicks) and it's not just common movie-goers, I'm
talking actual movie critics.

While Avatar is a wonderful experiment in special effects and CGI,
however none of it's story, plot and characters are that of an average
popcorn flick with one dimensional characters and the movie ends up
takes itself way too seriously.

Like I mentioned before: inspiration is one thing. Outright copying the
same basic premise from another film is another thing entirely.

Avatar, offers zero surprises, the trailer shows everything, too much
actually. You would think Cameron's story for all the hype it got was
gonna be something mindblowing, but no...

So I'm sorry if the Avatar fanboys are upset, but Avatar is not a
masterpiece by any means and doesn't quite live up to it's hype. That's
all I'm saying.
Back to top Go down
HorridWing
Gold Member
Gold Member
HorridWing

Number of posts : 1457
Registration date : 2009-08-15

PostSubject: Re: James Cameron's Avatar   James Cameron's Avatar I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 29, 2009 8:05 pm

sorry...a bit off topic...well sorta, but can we call him James? Cuz...I keep seeing my name...and im like "huh?"

Ya know...just asking.
Back to top Go down
The Good Rebel
Silver Member
Silver Member
The Good Rebel

PostSubject: Re: James Cameron's Avatar   James Cameron's Avatar I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 29, 2009 9:24 pm

Autosaver wrote:

however none of it's story, plot and characters are that of an average
popcorn flick with one dimensional characters and the movie ends up
takes itself way too seriously.

Like I mentioned before: inspiration is one thing. Outright copying the
same basic premise from another film is another thing entirely.

Avatar, offers zero surprises, the trailer shows everything, too much
actually. You would think Cameron's story for all the hype it got was
gonna be something mindblowing, but no...

So I'm sorry if the Avatar fanboys are upset, but Avatar is not a
masterpiece by any means and doesn't quite live up to it's hype. That's
all I'm saying.

Again, it's not like Dances with Wolves or Pocahontas came up with the concept. It's from human history. The Spanish colonization of the Americas for example. That's what's so poetic about it. It's a futuristic concept mixed with an age-old one. It's a clever premise that has never been attempted before. What you, and other cynical movie critics, are doing is looking at it and saying "DERP DERPTY DERP FERNGULLY DELGO DANCES WITH WOLVES HALO CALL ME JOE U STUPID AVATARDS LOLOLOLOL EPIC LULZ". The characters are not one dimensional, reread my post. I'm beginning to think you're criticizing this movie because it's just in your nature to go against popular opinion. The philosophical conflict of identity and dreaming Jake Sully goes through the movie is amazingly deep for a film like this. Avatar is a masterpiece, the box office proves it, the reviews prove it, and the Oscars prove it. That's all I'M saying.
Back to top Go down
Autosaver
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Autosaver

PostSubject: Re: James Cameron's Avatar   James Cameron's Avatar I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 29, 2009 9:52 pm

I'm actually just copy pasting other peoples posts. XD

lol@criticsmeaneverything
sryifihrtfbfelings

Seriously, General. From your stand point, your acting like a fanboy. "Well you can't disagree because the critics love it! Other people said it!"

It is called an opinion for a reason. If you can't take my opinion, fine.
Avatar was a masterpiece on the outside, but I don't really agree on the inside.

Last edited by Autosaver on Tue Dec 29, 2009 9:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Star Adder
Gold Member
Gold Member
Star Adder

Number of posts : 1239
Registration date : 2008-06-01

PostSubject: Re: James Cameron's Avatar   James Cameron's Avatar I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 29, 2009 9:56 pm

its funny how critics say they are gonna be open minded about it but they are totally one sided
Back to top Go down
Autosaver
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Autosaver

PostSubject: Re: James Cameron's Avatar   James Cameron's Avatar I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 29, 2009 9:58 pm

It is also funny if you don't agree with the crowd, people think bad about you.

Its hilarious.

The story is NOTHING special. Its been done before in different ways. And it just fell flat.
The characters were boring, I don't even remember the whole cast besides Jake. Though, I can remember Grace.

Fun way to kill the cast! Lets have them all die at the end! Muhahaha!

I have to agree with these comments too.

Quote :
Adjectives
such as "beautiful" and "breathtaking" have been thrown at Avatar, and
they're apt. But I'll throw in a third B: Boring.
Quote :
Breaks
technological ground with stunning visuals, but disappoints on story
and characters - which still do matter.
Quote :
a largely humorless movie

I think it is pretty obvious that they spent way too much money on making it realistic, and making so much hype. Then you go to the movies and its just nature vs humans.

The story is stupid "We kill people becuz there tree has this mega awesome stone that we need, and we'll risk all our lives to get it. Go be their friends and tell them to move out."
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: James Cameron's Avatar   James Cameron's Avatar I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 29, 2009 10:43 pm

We went to see it on Christmas Eve and to be honest I didn't really enjoy it. The beginning and end were cool but in the middle I got bored and got some more Popcorn and drink. The CGI and everything was amazing and some of the actors were good but it just didn't keep me interested, ya know? As soon as Jake found that female Alien I figured out exactly what was gonna happen, it was predictable.

Personally I saw a lot of other movies in his James Camerson's so called "masterpiece", Pocahontas, Starship Troopers, Terminator and Brave Heart.

I saw the Pocahontas plot when Jake fell in love with Neytiri and had to learn the ways of the Na'vi and then had to fight his fellow man. It was the same as when the sailor in fell in love with Pocahontas and he had to help defend her land and fight the other sailors.

Starship Troopers kinda popped into my head with the way the soldiers arrived in the battle and the way the guys were dropped on the ground and left to fight for themselves. The fact they got wasted by alien monsters also was a big hint there for me personally. Oh yeah, the talk that the Colonel gives the new recruits reminded me of Michael Ironside's performance as Jean Rasczak in the first Starship Troopers.

Terminator kind of revealed itself in the stunts, the mechanical bots operated by the troops reminded me of Terminators just in the way they moved, especially when the Colonel jumps from his burning ship. I figured that there would be references to Terminator because the Terminator franchise is his baby.

Brave Heart, oh boy. Basically it's like that at the end because Jake rallies the Na'vi like when Mel Gibson rallied the Scottish and the two actors give speeches to their people. It's very similar because the Scottish were fighting the English which were the oppressors and they tried to take what wasn't theirs, it's the same deal with the Humans vs. the Na'vi. The Human's want that resource beneath their village and the Na'vi are forced to fight a technologically superior force with only the resources the have.

They finished filming this like two years ago, correct? I'm sure that's what Sam Worthington said on Rove. Also, has anyone else noticed that Michelle Rodriguez dies in every movie she acts in?
Back to top Go down
The Good Rebel
Silver Member
Silver Member
The Good Rebel

PostSubject: Re: James Cameron's Avatar   James Cameron's Avatar I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 30, 2009 12:49 am

Autosaver wrote:

I have to agree with these comments [/url]
Quote :
Adjectives
such as "beautiful" and "breathtaking" have been thrown at Avatar, and
they're apt. But I'll throw in a third B: Boring.
Quote :
Breaks
technological ground with stunning visuals, but disappoints on story
and characters - which still do matter.
Quote :
a largely humorless movie

The story is stupid "We kill people becuz there tree has this mega awesome stone that we need, and we'll risk all our lives to get it. Go be their friends and tell them to move out."

Oh look you're cherry picking reviews on rotten tomatoes. Well guess what, I can do the same. Here's what Roger Ebert says.

Quote :
I've complained that many recent films abandon story telling in their third acts and go for wall-to-wall action. Cameron essentially does that here, but has invested well in establishing his characters so that it matters what they do in battle and how they do it. There are issues at stake greater than simply which side wins.

And for the last time, look past the age-old story and see the symbolism. It's like you're not even reading my posts. This film is not about humanity invading an alien species. This film is not about mining a mineral with unique magnetic properties. This film is not about infiltrating the natives, and eventually going to their side. The plot premise may say it is, the trailer may say it is, but it's not. In fact, you could leave all of that out and the film would still be the same. Why? Because it is called AVATAR. It is not an epic, it is a character drama. It is about identity, dreaming. It is about discovering one's self in something alien. And if you can't see that, then you shouldn't be watching films at all. You have no appreciation for art. This film, like 2001: A Space Odyssey when it was released, has proven that film is VISUAL storytelling. You find the real story through the visuals. Jake getting out of the link chamber and into his wheelchair, with the close up of his legs is an example of this. The seeds of the sacred tree are an example of this. The story about trying to get the natives to move is just it's public face, when really when you take that off you get something much more emotional. In fact, I feel sorry that you can't see it and that all you can really see is the story that is intentionally used because it was done before. And you can't even see the genius in that, instead you're so quick to yell "RIP OFF!" that you're not allowing the true meaning of this masterpiece to show through.
Back to top Go down
The Good Rebel
Silver Member
Silver Member
The Good Rebel

PostSubject: Re: James Cameron's Avatar   James Cameron's Avatar I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 30, 2009 12:54 am

Ironic Captain wrote:
We went to see it on Christmas Eve and to be honest I didn't really enjoy it. The beginning and end were cool but in the middle I got bored and got some more Popcorn and drink. The CGI and everything was amazing and some of the actors were good but it just didn't keep me interested, ya know? As soon as Jake found that female Alien I figured out exactly what was gonna happen, it was predictable.

Personally I saw a lot of other movies in his James Camerson's so called "masterpiece", Pocahontas, Starship Troopers, Terminator and Brave Heart.

I saw the Pocahontas plot when Jake fell in love with Neytiri and had to learn the ways of the Na'vi and then had to fight his fellow man. It was the same as when the sailor in fell in love with Pocahontas and he had to help defend her land and fight the other sailors.

Starship Troopers kinda popped into my head with the way the soldiers arrived in the battle and the way the guys were dropped on the ground and left to fight for themselves. The fact they got wasted by alien monsters also was a big hint there for me personally. Oh yeah, the talk that the Colonel gives the new recruits reminded me of Michael Ironside's performance as Jean Rasczak in the first Starship Troopers.

Terminator kind of revealed itself in the stunts, the mechanical bots operated by the troops reminded me of Terminators just in the way they moved, especially when the Colonel jumps from his burning ship. I figured that there would be references to Terminator because the Terminator franchise is his baby.

Brave Heart, oh boy. Basically it's like that at the end because Jake rallies the Na'vi like when Mel Gibson rallied the Scottish and the two actors give speeches to their people. It's very similar because the Scottish were fighting the English which were the oppressors and they tried to take what wasn't theirs, it's the same deal with the Humans vs. the Na'vi. The Human's want that resource beneath their village and the Na'vi are forced to fight a technologically superior force with only the resources the have.

I don't really know how to reply to this, mainly because you kinda took me off guard when you said you got bored. Even the most hateful of movie critics, *cough* Armond White *cough*, disagree. As for all the references, I think you're just seeing coincidences when really there are none. I think you're just trying too hard to dissect the film, that or you're easily reminded of things. If you REALLY want a rip off of Terminator, don't look at giant mech suits(how do they even look like terminators anyway?), look at the car chase in Revenge of the Fallen.
Back to top Go down
Dr. Lecter
Silver Member
Silver Member
Dr. Lecter

PostSubject: Re: James Cameron's Avatar   James Cameron's Avatar I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 30, 2009 11:11 am

This conversation has been interesting, really... lol

I watched Avatar straight after a day of scuba diving in one of the richest reefs in my country, and nature trips with my friends. I couldn't have ended that day better.

Anyway, most of what I wanted to say was covered by GORT, so I don't have to go into the gory details about how good the movie is.

I'd have to react on the comment about it having a bad sense of scriptwriting: That it was either too lame or cheesy or one-dimensional (yes, I read at rotten tomatoes too).

James Cameron's films (sans Piranha II, where he was an impromptu special effects director) had great storytelling that made the films memorable.

In Avatar, they actually hired Paul Frommer, a professor from USC with a doctorate of linguistics, to construct an entirely new language that the 'denizens' of Pandora will use in the movie. It is in this language that some of the dialogue have been performed, and it was delivered effectively by the actors. It didn't actually sound bland or unnatural -- ex: A native Chinese guy trying his best to talk in German, or something like that-- it went smoothly, so to speak. Maybe it's because of the time they allotted to learn and speak a fictional language - one that is not related to any human language, a factor which is not often tackled in film. To stress my point, even in Star Trek and Star Wars, even the aliens talked in English. There goes your suspension of reality.

As for the lines (some that I prefer the most):

"Brother, I see you, and thank you, as your spirit goes with Eywa, your body stays behind, to become part of the people." - Jake Sully,translated fromthe Na'vi prayer for dying animals.

"Oel ngati kameie (I see you)" - Neytiri

"We've tried to give them education... technology ...roads...but no, they like mud." - Selfridge

James Cameron's Avatar Jake_s10

Jake: "How would I know if I find the right one?"
Neytiri: "It will try to kill you,"
Jake: "Outstanding."
- At Iknimaya (Hallelujah Mountains), on Jake Sully's search for his ikran (Mountain Banshee), the final challenge for him to be a true Na'vi hunter. (picture above -- deleted scene)

Dr. Grace Augustine: "Do you have any lab experience?"
Jake Sully: "I dissected a frog once."
Dr. Grace Augustine: James Cameron's Avatar Icon_neutral

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

As for the references to older James Cameron movies, yes, I noticed a few too. It may be because of James Cameron's personality showing in his handiwork. Every director has his signature, or recurring theme. In Cameron's case for Avatar, strong female characters, mass destruction and high science.

Avatar is a marvelous drama in a science fiction setting. It had a seemingly simple plot, yes, but execution is the most important aspect. I personally feel sorry for people who went to see the film looking for wanton violence, mindless humor, teen heartthrobs, or sophomoric entertainment, knowing that in this film, they would find little, if not none. Most of the 'critics' who wrote such complaints often comment highly on more fickle themes, or have no choice but sensationalize their blogs by nitpicking on other people's work for online hits. On my personal opinion, the last great film I saw before this was Saving Private Ryan. I hope to see another movie of Avatar's caliber soon.

I would have to say that every action in the film is well-thought of, it's rare to see that stuff nowadays. The characters are built up from the start

I deny not that after watching the film, I have become a fan of Avatar and its pseudoscience. I can't wait to see if there's a sequel.

============================================================================
Thanks, everyone, for sharing their ideas on the movie. There's good, there's bad, it's all balanced, like the way the world should be.

@GORT: Spare the kid. I think Autosaver is not yet used to such complexities yet... he's starting to troll with half-thought commentariesJames Cameron's Avatar Lol (I sense a reply in the works already). Anyway, thanks for the insight too James Cameron's Avatar 22607 . Eywa ngahu.

@Adder: So true, man. So true.

@Kratos: Yes, it's strange, Michelle Rodriguez seems to always die in her films James Cameron's Avatar Icon_scratch... maybe except in Girlfight or something, idk for sure.

@Horrid: Uhmmm... I saw it 5 TIMES James Cameron's Avatar Icon_eek with different sets of friends... lol

I ain't goin for a sixth, though unless it's free James Cameron's Avatar Icon_clown
Back to top Go down
Dr. Lecter
Silver Member
Silver Member
Dr. Lecter

PostSubject: Re: James Cameron's Avatar   James Cameron's Avatar I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 30, 2009 11:17 am

Well, I'd like to share some lines from some of James Cameron's other films. I noticed that Avatar does carry part of his personality, which exudes predominantly in his movies. I like these quotes the most:

"I don't even have a picture of him, he exists now only in my memory."
- Rose, Titanic (the part where Rose, now an old woman, dies peacefully after knowing about Jack's fate).

"There's a difference between us. You think the people of this country exist to provide you with position. I think your position exists to provide those people with freedom. And I go to make sure that they have it."
-William Wallace, Braveheart

"You can own the earth and still, all you'll own is earth until you can paint with all the colours of the wind."
-Pocahontas

"Watching John with the machine, it was suddenly so clear. The Terminator would never stop, it would never leave him... and it would never hurt him, never shout at him or get drunk and hit him or say it was too busy to spend time with him. It would always be there and it would die to protect him. Of all the would-be fathers who came and went over the years, this thing, this machine was the only one who measured up. In an insane world, it was the sanest choice."
- Sarah Connor, Terminator 2 - Judgment Day
Back to top Go down
Autosaver
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Autosaver

PostSubject: Re: James Cameron's Avatar   James Cameron's Avatar I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 30, 2009 12:20 pm

Quote :
This film is not about humanity invading an
alien species. This film is not about mining a mineral with unique
magnetic properties

@Gort

Now my post

Quote :
"We kill people becuz there tree has this mega
awesome stone that we need, and we'll risk all our lives to get it. Go
be their friends and tell them to move out."

Quote :
In fact, I feel sorry that you can't see it and
that all you can really see is the story that is intentionally used
because it was done before. And you can't even see the genius in that,
instead you're so quick to yell "RIP OFF!" that you're not allowing the
true meaning of this masterpiece to show through.

For the last time, I already said I picked up the posts from other forums. I never even seen those other films LOL!

It is quite sad how you can't agree with other peoples opinions. Instead feeling sorry for them. The movie was boring.

BORING
BORING

Get it in your head! I say the movie is boring! It was disappointing for me! Too much hype and it was just a big let down.

The ending also felt rushed IMO.

Like I said, this movie was made really good. All the special effects and stuff. It still is pretty good, but boring. *shot
Back to top Go down
Star Adder
Gold Member
Gold Member
Star Adder

Number of posts : 1239
Registration date : 2008-06-01

PostSubject: Re: James Cameron's Avatar   James Cameron's Avatar I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 30, 2009 8:08 pm

well everyone likes movies in their own way, no one can say your stupid, or you dont know what your talkin about,

all my friends say its good so ill agree with them till i see the movie
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: James Cameron's Avatar   James Cameron's Avatar I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 30, 2009 8:21 pm

Yeah it really depends on what kind of movie you prefer.
Back to top Go down
Autosaver
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Autosaver

PostSubject: Re: James Cameron's Avatar   James Cameron's Avatar I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 30, 2009 9:04 pm

Yes, it is pretty good. I give it a B. (No boring joke. Razz)
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: James Cameron's Avatar   James Cameron's Avatar I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
TFXtreme :: Global Forum-
Jump to: